Friday, July 26, 2013

Patience Pays Off

Y'all may remember this sneak peek from the beginning of April, when I thought this special project was in it's final stages...

Well, just shy of four months later, this baby is complete!  I was going to hold off on sharing it with you until I had the seating and decor complete, but it was debuted last night at Supper Club and I couldn't help but snap a few photos of this handmade gorgeousness.  Let me take you back to where it all started... 

When I graduated from Clemson and moved to my townhouse in 2007, my parents purchased this table and chairs from IKEA.  While this table has treated the hubs and me well over the last several years, it wasn't accommodating when we had our families for holidays or friends for dinner.  It could comfortably seat four; six was pushing it.  Hence, the search for reclaimed wood began last winter.  We tried a few places and didn't have much luck until we were doing an after-church drive by  and drove past our sweet friends' (Mandi + Jeff) house.  They had planned to renovate a home they purchased not too far from us but ended up tearing it down and starting over.  Boy did a light shine down when we saw a mound of disposed wood laying in their front yard, which the hubs concluded came from the roof or floor support.  Tyler got in touch with Jeff, who was actually in The Land Down Under for work, and was given the green light to take as much as we needed.    


 

Things were going quite smoothly.  It didn't take T too long to make the top, which is when I pulled out my Jump-to-Conclusions-Map and thought this Farmhouse Table would be done in no time.  Womp womp...the entire process takes much longer that I imagined.  We decided to purchase legs at Lowe's ($22.98 a piece), as well as stain and polyurethane.  Our grand total: zero dollars, thanks to a gift card.  We already had the white paint (for the legs) and tools needed at home to complete the table.  I wish I had taken step by step pics as T worked so diligently on this project but fail.    


So, voila!  Here is the completed beauty.






I'm insanely proud of my sweet hubby for making my dreams of a farmhouse table come to fruition (not even coming out of pocket at that!) and am thrilled with how it turned out.  It was definitely worth the six-month wait!

I'm planning to buy two more Henriksdal dining chairs from Ikea to replace the middle chairs (shown above).  They are only $69.00 per chair, versus Pottery Barn's side chair which is currently running for a mere $224 a piece.  I don't see a $155 difference.  Do you?


I'm also planning to find two neat armchairs for the ends, which we'll store in the corners of the dining room when not being used.  It's a work in process but has come a long way.  It's so nice to comfortably seat eight folks at dinnertime, as we experienced last night at Supper Club.  No more middle-school split: girls indoor at the dining room table, boys outdoor at the deck table.  Props to my hubby for making this happen.  Boy do I love that man!

No comments:

Post a Comment