Thursday, May 16, 2013

This Bread is Bananas

B-A-N-A-N-A-S.  Picture me jamming to this modified version as I dance around in my kitchen.  It happened all right.  It all began with two majorly ripe bananas...and remembering it was Custodial Appreciation Week.


Instead of picking up a pre-made treat at Publix, I thought I'd put my very amateur baking skills to use. I found a simple peanut butter banana bread recipe via Pinterest and adapted it to ingredients that were already in Sylvan's kitchen.  It was my first go at this, and it turned out quite tasty if I may say so myself.  I definitely recommend it to those looking for a quick-n-easy breakfast bread.


Simple Peanut Butter Banana Bread (adapted from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients
  • 3/4 C peanut butter 
  • 1/3 C melted butter 
  • 2/3 C white sugar 
  • 2 very ripe bananas 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 C buttermilk
  • Chocolate chips*
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease a 4x8-in. loaf pan.  
  2. Beat peanut butter and melted butter in a bowl.  Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Beat one egg into peanut butter mixture until completely blended before beating in the second egg.  Beat in ripe bananas.
  3. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.  Stir flour mixture into banana mixture alternately with buttermilk, mixing until batter is just blended.  
  4. Stir in chocolate chips.* 
  5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately one hour.
*The recipe didn't call for chocolate chips, nor did I put any in my batter mixture.  However, I plan on adding them next time to bring the taste factor up a notch.  A little chocolate never hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment