Thursday, May 2, 2013

Work Nook Inspiration

Last fall, I started getting an itch to turn our unused sitting space into a work nook.  Yes, we have two desks upstairs in the office, but I wanted one downstairs so I could still feel "a part of the action" while I was working.  I was completely over using our dining room table to do work.  I was constantly moving our place-settings to make room then having to clean up and reorganize once I was done for the night.  And, going back to our "sitting space", the sole purpose of the gingham chair was to sit there looking pretty...a.k.a. collect dust.  Honestly, I don't know that anyone sat there...ever.  Here she is (pardon the blurriness):


Ugh, yeah....Without T knowing, I began doing research on reasonably-priced desks that could fit this space.  One night I was looking through the Home Decorators magazine, courtesy of Mrs. Katy Costner, and came across this beauty.  


I knew this piece from the Martha Stewart Living Collection would fit in perfectly at Sylvan.  I decided to use Christmas money and the help of Katy to make this purchase.  It has been a big relief to be able to dedicate our dining room table to eating/entertaining and the desk to grading papers/paying bills (fun, fun...not).  It's still a work in progress, but I love how the "work nook" is coming together.  



I already had the three frames, silver bowl, lamp (woof), and chair.  Clearly, I'm on the hunt for a new lamp, as well as a trinket or two to warm it up.  Gotta give the desk a lil' lovin'.     


A dear friend of mine gave me the middle frame, which contains one of our favorite wedding pictures.  I bought the outer two frames at Target a while back.  They were originally white frames which I spray-painted gold.  The picture on the left is of Tyler's parents from their wedding day, and the picture on the right is of my parents from theirs.


I'm not completely unhappy with the chair but want to update it to make it pop!  Spray paint and a new cushion?  Thoughts?


While I'm in search of items that can call this nook home, here are a few work spaces which provide much inspiration.

This work space is so cheery.  I love the pops of yellow against the whites and grays.

Obsessed with this chair.  The lavender flowers pop against all of the neutrals.

I want that bouquet of flowers.  Pronto.

Everything about this work space is perfect.  I have fallen for those antlers and this entire color scheme.  

I'm not a huge fan of the chair, at least for my work nook, but I appreciate the bright, boldness of the turquoise lamps  as well as the yellow and white chevron rug. 
So what are your must-needs in a work space?  

No comments:

Post a Comment