Wednesday, April 10, 2013

5 AM Wake-Up Call


"Hola, hola, hoooola."  This happened.  At 5AM.  From Carlota, the resident macaw who likes to perch outside casita numero dos.  Thank goodness this is 7AM Atlanta time, or else I'd be pretty unhappy/wanting to do something very unkind to this beautiful creature.  (Poor honeymooners!)  Although mom denies it, I can almost guarantee she's the one instigating Carlota to start talking before the rest of Nayara is awake.  What can I say, she's a true animal lover.  Needless to say, I'm on my second cup of coffee and will more than likely be taking a nap pool-side this afternoon.

Now, on to yesterday....Mom and I got picked up at 10:45AM for our first excursion and within a few minutes we got to see three of CR's wild animals -- a snake (non-poisonous, thank goodness!), sloths, and monkeys.  They were just on the side of the road -- cray cray.


 


  


After approximately a twenty minute, bumpy ride we arrived.  Little did we know we had a three-hour-plus hike ahead of us before the zip-lining adventure.  While I was a little lot anxious to get on with the zip-lining, the hike was totally worth it.  The surroundings were gorgeous and Ronny, our guide, was extremely informative.  Mom and I loved seeing his true love for nature.  As we were hiking it began to rain (surprise, surprise), and Ronny proceeded to tell us it made the zip-lines go even faster...great.  Not exactly what I needed to hear.  At the conclusion of the Sky Walk we walked through a butterfly garden that overlooked a man-made lake...more photo ops.  I promise I'll only share a few, er, twenty-two of my absolute fave from yesterday.

The first of six hanging bridges

D taking it all in
 
Neatest flower ever







Looking mighty pretty at this point of the hike...not.






Ronny caught us laughing at something...what we do best.

Base of the waterfall...gotta love D's poncho



Sweet Little Lizard
 
Hidden Waterfall

Little Person, Ginormous Tree Trunk




Butterflies looking out into the free world.


Following the hike, we took the Sky Tram up to the starting point of the long-awaited zip-lining adventure.  There was no turning back now.  After two practice lines we were ready to glide.  You'll never guess who jumped up to the platform to be harnessed in, ahead of the guides.  Oh yes, Diane.  Enough of the practicing, she was ready to get on wit it.  Instead of telling her to wait, the guide said to come with him and they would ride tandem.  The remaining seven of us couldn't believe it.  While we were hyperventilating, mom was the "old lady showing the youngins up".  (These were the words from one of the girls in our group.)  She made it across and then it was my turn.  And Y'all, I did it!  Zip-lining was a success.  Now I'm even hungry for more.  I was carefree and the views were breath-taking.  I almost forgot I was gliding at speeds up to 55 miles per hour, 200 meters high in the sky.  I wish I had pictures to show for it but unfortunately didn't bring my camera up with us.  However, we met a sweet couple from San Antonio that will be sending them our way.  I'll be sure to share with y'all once I get them.

We ended our adventurous day with a five-course wine pairing dinner at Nostalgia, the Vino Teca.  Elquin, our beloved bartender, even brought me a glass of port (on the house, woo hoo) to finish off the evening so mom and I would be on the same level.  It doesn't take too much vino for the little one to start feeling no pain.  After four-hours of talking, five courses of delectable food, and six glasses of wine, it was time to head back to casita numero dos and hit the sac.  I don't remember the last time I had a four-hour meal nor the quiet one-on-one time to sit and talk about past memories and the life ahead with mom.  Y'all, it was so special.  We're truly blessed to experience the beautiful creations and surroundings in Costa Rica, but more importantly, have this time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment