Thursday, April 18, 2013

Trash to Treasure

I'd always heard "one man's trash is another man's treasure" and had witnessed this many times between HGTV shows and various blogs.  However, I never seemed to be able to scope out these items...until this past December.  T and I were at my parents' house for Christmas and they'd been telling us they were fixin' to get rid of a few pieces of furniture.  My parents have great taste (which has for sure gotten better with age) so my immediate thoughts were the furniture must be complete junk if they're giving it away.  Before heading back to Sylvan T and I took a gander at the two pieces and thought we could figure something out with them.  Unfortunately we couldn't fit both in our car, so of course hero-daddy followed us down with the remaining one.  We put the smaller of the two pieces next to our front door in place of an older, not-as-substantial piece.  Here she is at first.  She looked so dated and lonely...begging for new pulls and buddies to display.


T and I headed to Lowe's, our second home, and came upon this beauty.  While it was a little more than I'd like to spend per pull, we had several gift cards from Christmas so we didn't have to come out of pocket at all.  You know we were doing the happy dance!
 
After a quick switch of the pulls, she looked so much happier.  She's got that glow.

Davidson Cap Pull


 Now, for treasure number one's buddies...
One: The moss balls are from Wal-mart.  They were purchased over a year ago, with a gift card, but I can guarantee they weren't expensive.
Two: Dana found this bowl on clearance at Target after the holidays.  The antlers were stark-white, so she painted and distressed them to give it the awesome look.  
Three: I used craft paper to cover two thin, large books.  I bought the craft paper for one dollar a roll at The Dollar Tree.
Four: We received two of these monogrammed, silver-plated julep candle pots for our wedding.  They're currently on sale at Pottery Barn!
Five: We also received this simple, timeless picture frame for our wedding.  (Don't mind my reflection in the frame...whoops!)
Six: I found this lamp base and shade at Marshall's for $29.99.  I love the base but am constantly on the hunt for the perfect shade.  








I'm definitely happy this piece is now the one that greets folks as they walk in.

We put treasure number two in the dining room and haven't done any updates...yet.  Depending on how T's dining room project turns out, I may be changing this baby drastically.  We shall see what the future beholds.




So, what do YOU think of my parent's trash we turned into treasure at Sylvan?  I'm pretty content with it and am even happier we didn't have to come out of pocket.  Gotta love ballin' on a budget!

1 comment:

  1. Glad our "trash" could become your "treasure", and glad you think our taste is getting better with age. Must be your influence :)

    ReplyDelete