Friday, April 5, 2013

I Spy

So, were you able to spot the two changes from yesterday's pre and post pictures?  One is very simple, and I have to give all of the credit to Laurel-Dawn at AbodeLove.  She recommended putting the shams in front of my standard pillows.  The shams are way prettier than the tan and white pillows that we lay our heads on each night.  Why I hadn't thought of this myself, I do not know.  It's much more pleasing to the eye.  I also switched the porcelain-blue quilt with the paisley duvet.

Now we come to the second, and most-needed, change...along with a couple others that have occurred in Sylvan's master.

Most Needed
So, I debated on whether or not to share this picture with you. Yes, we really lived with this ever-growing, stinky pile.  It's embarrassing.  This Target-piece not only served as our laundry basket (what it was meant for) but also as a bedside table.  It held the lamp, remote controls, and T's water cup.  And let me tell you what an enormous pain it was to lift all of those up to place our dirty clothes in their home.  Hence the clothing mound.  We couldn't live like this for long, so I was on the lookout for a true bedside table shortly after we moved into Sylvan.  (Unfortunately, it would be near impossible to match our other bedside table.  It was made by an Amish man, along with the sleigh bed, when my family still lived in Lancaster.)  


I eventually found this lovely piece at Nadeau.  If y'all are looking for eclectic, affordable furniture, check this place out.  The white is definitely a big contrast from the dark cherry, but I didn't want a color that matched it too closely without it being identical to the opposite side of the bed.  Not to mention, I couldn't beat the price.  It definitely works for now and surely beats our old laundry basket - er -bedside table.




Most Eye-Appealing
I absolutely love decorative throw pillows, but not more than the ridiculously talented Dana Humphreville.  She's my bff that hails from my hometown in PA but now lives in Birmingham.  She's got a true eye for design and can create a lot from a little.  One weekend when she was visiting me in Atlanta, she said she was taking three of my old pillows and was going to make new covers so I could spice up my bedding.  She headed to ROSS (Dress for Less, oh yeah), found a striped tablecloth, and voila!  She then found a $10 placement at atHome in Homewood (another store to totally check out) to make for the small rectangular pillow.  I love the party in the front and burlap-business in the back.  Uh-maz-ing.  I'm obsessed.  What would I do without her?





Most Sentimental
I had been searching for the perfect piece for the foot of our bed.  There were neat benches and baskets I had eyed, all of which required beaucoup dollars.  One weekend when T and I were at my parents, we went to our bedroom, set our things down on the trunk as usual, and a light went off.  What if we transplanted this piece into Sylvan's master.  Where did this beauty come from?  It was my great, great-grandmother's, Ms. Myrtle May.  Many, many moons ago she had packed up everything she owned and moved from Illinois to California.  I can't imagine fitting my wardrobe shoes in this baby, let alone my entire belongings.  Gaboo, my grandmother who was raised by Myrtle May, had it refurbished before passing it on to my mom years ago.  So this of course had a lot of meaning to me, and it was gorgeous.  You can't find quality antique pieces like this without giving away part of your life savings.  I love the coloring, texture, and detail.  It truly is the perfect piece for our master bedroom.






Sylvan's master is finally starting to come together.  I know you're thinking that the walls are mighty bare.  Patience, please.  I got a steal-of-a-deal at Marshalls a few weekends ago.  Updates to come soon, promise.  


I hope y'all are looking forward to the weekend as much as I am.  The weather is supposed to be beautiful, and we've got a fun-filled weekend planned with some of our best friends.  TGIF!

1 comment:

  1. Best quote ever - "party in the front and burlap-business in the back"!! Love the changes. It sure beats the hunter green wall. TGIF!!!

    ReplyDelete